Friday, August 10, 2007

Poland July - August 2007, Dojlidy Fish Ponds

During the family holiday we also visited Bialistok, so I paid this birding site a short visit. It is famous being a good spot to see all five European grebe species together. Furthermore Little Crakes, White-tailed Eagles, Ospreys and several tern species can be seen here. The Dojlidy Fish ponds are located just outside of the city and are easily reached by car. How to reach the fish ponds by other ways of transport I don't know as I visited this by car. There are several trails leading around the fishponds, enabling birders to check to ponds from various angles. Unfortunately all the species mentioned above proved not to be present during mid August. Furthermore I only saw a single grebe species: Great Crested Grebe. Besides some tame juvenile Red-backed Shrikes there was little else worth noting. I guess this site is well worth your time in spring, but in my opinion it can be skipped during summer. This blog post and other posts concerning my visit to Poland can be downloaded as PDF file here.
Juvenile Red-backed Shrike (Lanius collurio)

No comments:

Post a Comment